May 24 is Judi Bari Day*
Please join us to
the anniversary of the 1990 Oakland bombing of Judi Bari and Darryl Cherney
CELEBRATE and STRENGTHEN
Revolutionary resistance and movement solidarity
May 24, 2018 is the 28th anniversary of the attack on Earth First! and Judi and Darryl by car bomb in Oakland in 1990 as Redwood Summer, a summer of resistance to forest liquidation logging, dawned.
At 11:30 am, people will gather to mark the moment of the bombing itself (12 noon) at the actual location the bomb blew up Judi’s car, in an assassination attempt (Park Blvd. at E. 34th St., in front of Oakland High School.)
Bring words, thoughts, signs, songs, drums for a SPEAK OUT and SING OUT.
CONNECT THE DOTS
Between history and present struggle; between climate and forests; between racism, misogeny and ecocide; between struggles everywhere.
background: Judi Bari and Darryl Cherney, both Earth First! organizers, were falsely arrested for car-bombing themselves on May 24, 1990 while on a musical organizing tour for Redwood Summer, a summer of mass protest and direct actions against liquidation logging by multi-national timber companies. They sued the FBI for civil rights violations, claiming the FBI knew they were innocent but arrested them to silence them. We WON that lawsuit against the FBI and Oakland Police! Hell, yeah!
Judi Bari was also a labor organizer, fiddle player, artist, feminist, mother, and one of the best strategists to come along in a long time. She died in 1997.
*as proclaimed by the Oakland City Council in 2003, and as commemorated every year.
- Oct. 12 – Berkeley Indigenous Peoples Day
- Passionate and Persistent Activism in the Pandemic
- News from the forest…and news from the streets
- 30th anniversary of the bombing of Judi Bari and Darryl Cherney ~ Sunday, May 24
- Redwood Forest Defenders Occupy Trees in Strawberry Rock Timber Plan–Call on Green Diamond to halt logging
- Bay Area issues
- Climate and forests
- fact sheets
- Green Diamond
- Headwaters Forest
- Humboldt Redwood Co. (HRC)
- Indigenous People and Land
- Judi Bari
- Mattole Forests
- Mendocino Redwood Co. (MRC)
- Other North Coast Forests
- Pacific Lumber
- Pacific Lumber Bankruptcy
- Richardson Grove
- Save the Oaks Campaign
- Smith River/Hwy 199 expansion
- Willits Caltrans Bypass