Oaks Grove ALERT
from the Bay Area Coalition for Headwaters
On Monday, Oct. 29, a judge ruled that UC Berkeley police can remove
tree-sitters from the threatened oak grove on UC Berkeley campus,
where activists have been defending the grove from the University’s
development plans since last Dec. 2.
There are two different actions that have been in court in recent
Three lawsuits challenging the University’s plans to level the oak
grove to build a sports training facility have been in court since
late in 2006 (Those lawsuits were combined in one court action, but
remain separate challenges, one filed by the City of Berkeley, one by
the Panoramic Hills Association and a third by non-profits including
the California Oak Foundation). The long-awaited trial ended
recently, but a judgement is not expected until the second week in
November at the earliest. This would determine whether the University
can legally go ahead with their plans.
Yesterday’s decision stemmed from a lawsuit filed by UCBerkeley
seeking more authority to remove and fine the tree-sitters, even if
they don’t know who they are. What the implications are for tree-sit
supporters on the ground is being determined by campaign organizers.
But suffice to say, if UC law enforcement moves in against the
tree-sitters, we will need to rally support for the brave and
stalwart tree-dwellers, for the loyal ground support, and for the
Stay tuned. Check the website: www.saveoaks.com. You can call the
grove ground support at 510-938-2109.
We will do our best to get an alert out on email if the situation
arise where support is needed. But it is always a good idea to go
by the grove with food, a donation or expression of support. It is
located on Piedmont Avenue just north of Bancroft St. and the
Bay Area Coalition for Headwaters (BACH)
2530 San Pablo Ave.
Berkeley, CA 94702
phone: 510 548 3113
- Richardson Grove court report; Forests & Climate hearing this week!
- Actions in the Forest, plus Forests in Court
- Visit BACH’s booth at Indigenous Peoples’ Day Oct. 6!
- Buffalo Field Campaign Roadshow in Berkeley
- Week of Action for Mattole Forest Wraps Up with Demonstrations at Corporate Offices and Mill. Then…Log Truck Rams Through Protesters With Banner at Mill, Nearly Mowing People Down
- Bay Area issues
- Climate and forests
- fact sheets
- Green Diamond
- Headwaters Forest
- Humboldt Redwood Co. (HRC)
- Judi Bari
- Mattole River Watershed
- Mendocino Redwood Co. (MRC)
- Other North Coast Forests
- Pacific Lumber
- Pacific Lumber Bankruptcy
- Richardson Grove
- Save the Oaks Campaign
- Smith River/Hwy 199 expansion
- Willits Caltrans Bypass