Alert: Weekend logging in the redwoods in Jackson State Forest! Uphold the People’s Moratorium!
Crews came back on Saturday, dropping the big old redwood at the Camp 1 entrance in JDSF, pictured here. Activists in the woods say the fallers are targeting the largest Redwoods and Douglas Firs in the plan, cutting them down on the weekend before Forest Defenders can stop them.
This specific timber harvest plan is in the largest affordable campsite in the area (Camp 1) and Jackson Forest is one of the top tourist draws in Mendocino county. (And tourism brings in over 4 times the revenue that logging does). This THP is unique in that it has some of the highest volume per acre of all the THPs currently open, thanks primarily to an abundance of very large Doug Fir trees such as the one shown here.
The economic value for tourism and recreation is far higher than what the “board feet” of this plan was sold for, and their value as carbon stores towers far above this number.
Activists are out in the forest right now trying to keep the biggest trees standing and need your support!
Your Help is Needed Immediately!!
Call and write the Board of Forestry and tell them:
– We need a Moratorium on Logging in Jackson!
– Logging in Jackson is a bad faith negotiation tactic with the Pomo Tribes and their government to government consultations.
– Respect public opinion and the Mendocino Board of Supervisors (who called for a scientific review).
CALL: (916) 653-8007
Call CalFire and tell them to stop to the destruction of Red Tail and Camp 1!
-Kevin Conway, State Forests Program Manager at (530) 339-0286 or email Kevin.Conway@fire.ca.gov
Call Congressman Jared Huffman, Assembly Member Jim Wood and Senator Mike McGuire to demand an end to spite cutting in Jackson State.
- Assemblyman Wood’s Mendocino office number: (707) 463-5770
- Wood’s state capitol number: (916) 319-2002 https://a02.asmdc.org/contact
- Senator McGuire’s Mendocino office number: (707) 468-8914
- McGuire’s state capitol number (916) 651-4002 https://sd02.senate.ca.gov/contact/email
- Congressman Jared Huffman Phone: (707) 962-0933 https://huffman.house.gov/contact/email-me
These trees are worth more standing!
Follow Mama Tree Network on Facebook @mama.tree.mendo and Instagram mama.tree.mendo for up to the minute news on the actions in the woods.
#savejacksondemonstrationstateforest #letourforestsgrow #stoplogging #environmentalaction
- Bay Area issues
- Climate and forests
- fact sheets
- Green Diamond
- Headwaters Forest
- Humboldt Redwood Co. (HRC)
- Indigenous People and Land
- Jackson Demonstration State Forest
- Judi Bari
- Mattole Forests
- Mendocino Redwood Co. (MRC)
- Other North Coast Forests
- Pacific Lumber
- Pacific Lumber Bankruptcy
- Richardson Grove
- Save the Oaks Campaign
- Smith River/Hwy 199 expansion
- Willits Caltrans Bypass