NOTE: There was just an article in Earth Island Journal looking back on the Headwaters Forest Campaign, and in particular the women involved, who were campaign leaders, on the 20th anniversary of the protection of the 7500-acre Headwaters Forest Reserve. You can read it here.
Reminder–this Sunday! Join us!
Music Benefit for Climate Justice and Direct Action in Oakland–early show–
The show will feature great music and lots of activist fun!
– Casey Neill & the Norway Rats
– Loretta Lynch
WHERE: Elbo Room, Jack London Square, 311 Broadway, Oakland CA [venue is 21+]
WHEN: Sunday April 28, Doors at 6:00, show at 7:00
Sliding Scale – $10-50 suggested donation, no one turned away for lack of funds.
This event is hosted by and benefits our good friends at Diablo Rising Tide.
Familiar to so many activists in the Bay Area, Casey Neill & The Norway Rats straddle the lines between somber Americana ballads, the intensity and ethos of punk, politically charged Irish folk tunes, and anthemic rock singalongs – but Neill’s storytelling talent and concern for real people’s struggles stand out. Casey has long been an activist himself. They usually pepper in some “early Casey” songs, like Dancing on the Ruins (of mullti-national corporations) and RiffRaff, and most of the tunes are quite danceable!
Loretta Lynch believes in having the right regrets. With lush three-part harmonies, raucous surf-tinged guitar and tongue in cheek, the East Bay Area’s own alt-country outfit Loretta Lynch’s stirring songs reach the shady grove in all of us. Their music has earthy humor, sweetness and occasional spasms of optimism. And again, the band members are activists. You’ll love it.
Wayfairy started with a banjo on the turnpike and has grown into a collective project that blends accordion, banjo, violin, washboard and upright bass with soft vocal harmonies, punctuated by raw wails.
We were going to have an info table for BACH and the Mattole Forest campaign at this Sunday’s Peoples’ Park 50th anniversary celebration, but the person setting the table up is now on crutches (me). If anyone would like to take responsibility for transport of materials, set up and take down, please contact BACH at (510) 548-3113 or email bach [at] HeadwatersPreserve.org.
- Raise Your Voice — Again — for Richardson Grove Redwoods!
- New Logging Plan in Mattole Threatens Owl Habitat, Redwood Park, Native Forests and Ancestral Indigenous Land.
- Logging has started in State forest!
- 31st anniversary of the bombing of Judi Bari & Darryl Cherney: Monday, May 24 JOIN US!
- Tree-Sits, Blockades and Forestry Science vs. California “Demonstrating” Profitability?
- Bay Area issues
- Climate and forests
- fact sheets
- Green Diamond
- Headwaters Forest
- Humboldt Redwood Co. (HRC)
- Indigenous People and Land
- Jackson Demonstration State Forest
- Judi Bari
- Mattole Forests
- Mendocino Redwood Co. (MRC)
- Other North Coast Forests
- Pacific Lumber
- Pacific Lumber Bankruptcy
- Richardson Grove
- Save the Oaks Campaign
- Smith River/Hwy 199 expansion
- Willits Caltrans Bypass