It’s been a while since we’ve communicated with you, and you can likely guess the reasons. Everyone is overwhelmed dealing with our world in 2020, and the hits keep on coming. But the issues we care about are not only still there, but most campaigns and work have higher stakes, sooner deadlines, and greater needs […]
On Wednesday, April 1, Redwood Forest Defenders occupied tree sits in the contentious Strawberry Rock timber harvest plan, calling on Green Diamond Company to stop logging now!
Green Diamond Resource Company (GDRC), a private timber company, has started industrial logging operations in the Strawberry Rock area in northern Humboldt County, a site culturally […]
Dear friend of the Forest,
I arrived home from a gathering last month exhausted but excited. Energized. Inspired. My brain was racing—processing, analyzing, sorting through the conversations and questions. And, in keeping with the goals of this gathering, I arrived home ready to hit the ground running and work.
Representing the Bay Area Coalition for […]
So-called salvage logging has been around for decades—promoted by the timber industry and vehemently opposed by forest advocates—after insect infestations, die-off due to drought, and most often after forest fires. But really, it’s generally about satisfying the market. Given the history of large fires in the forests of the Pacific Northwest, salvage logging proposals are […]
Update: Richardson Grove Court Date
A number of us were in Federal Court last Wednesday to hear arguments from both defendants Caltrans, and environmental organization plaintiffs in the Richardson Grove court case, back before a judge once again. This has been a long saga. After extensive arguments and many questions from the court, Judge Alsup took […]
Comments Invited on Headwaters Forest Reserve
For those of you who have been rolling with us a long time, you will remember when the campaign to save the giants in Headwaters Forest culminated in purchase by the government of 7,500 acres of redwood forest, corporate raider Charles Hurwitz driving Pacific Lumber into bankruptcy, and finally […]
- Alert: Weekend logging in the redwoods in Jackson State Forest! Uphold the People’s Moratorium!
- Raise Your Voice — Again — for Richardson Grove Redwoods!
- New Logging Plan in Mattole Threatens Owl Habitat, Redwood Park, Native Forests and Ancestral Indigenous Land.
- Logging has started in State forest!
- 31st anniversary of the bombing of Judi Bari & Darryl Cherney: Monday, May 24 JOIN US!
- Bay Area issues
- Climate and forests
- fact sheets
- Green Diamond
- Headwaters Forest
- Humboldt Redwood Co. (HRC)
- Indigenous People and Land
- Jackson Demonstration State Forest
- Judi Bari
- Mattole Forests
- Mendocino Redwood Co. (MRC)
- Other North Coast Forests
- Pacific Lumber
- Pacific Lumber Bankruptcy
- Richardson Grove
- Save the Oaks Campaign
- Smith River/Hwy 199 expansion
- Willits Caltrans Bypass