New Blockade Rises to Protect Old Growth in the Mattole!
Logging season has returned to the north coast, and Humboldt Redwood Co. (HRC) remains adamant that they will cut in the previously unlogged forest in the Mattole River watershed. The blockaders, however are even more determined that they will not. After an effective and successful action training skill share camp in May, numbers of people monitoring, communicating, strategizing and holding the blockade line were boosted in the Mattole.
Now, there is a new heavy tripod on the main logging road on Rainbow Ridge near the headwaters of the North Fork of the Mattole.
Activists have been working via a multitude of strategies to prevent logging in this ancient forest for decades. HRC, who purchased the Mattole River Valley land, and the rest of the largely depleted 200,000 acres of forestland from Maxxam/Pacific Lumber Co. a decade ago, has repeatedly said they plan to cut the “Long Ridge Cable” THP (timber harvest plan) in the Rainbow Ridge area, despite many questions remaining around the legality of key parts of the plan. This spring, HRC abandoned plans to build a new logging road, designed only to circumvent the protesters, in the face of a public pressure campaign.
Redwoods in Gualala Delta Spared Again
- Buffalo Field Campaign Roadshow in Berkeley
- Week of Action for Mattole Forest Wraps Up with Demonstrations at Corporate Offices and Mill. Then…Log Truck Rams Through Protesters With Banner at Mill, Nearly Mowing People Down
- Don’t commodify Mother Earth and her forests!
- Forest Defenders’ Blockade in Mattole Raided by Paramilitary-style Security
- New tripod blockade in Mattole, new suit in Gualala forest
- Bay Area issues
- Climate and forests
- fact sheets
- Green Diamond
- Headwaters Forest
- Humboldt Redwood Co. (HRC)
- Judi Bari
- Mattole River Watershed
- Mendocino Redwood Co. (MRC)
- Other North Coast Forests
- Pacific Lumber
- Pacific Lumber Bankruptcy
- Richardson Grove
- Save the Oaks Campaign
- Smith River/Hwy 199 expansion
- Willits Caltrans Bypass