The 16th annual Stomp the Stumps! brings together some of the Bay Area’s most dedicated political rock and dance bands for fundraising concerts to help save what’s left of natural Northern California. Longtime Stumpers the Funky Nixons and the Gary Gates Band perform before fellow returnees Curly cap the night.
A rockin’ benefit for Bay Area Coalition for Headwaters at Ashkenaz Club: MAY 16!
1317 San Pablo Ave. at Gilman, Berkeley 94702
doors @ 8; music @8:30
3 dance beat bands: Funky Nixons, house band of Peoples’ Park and proponents of all good causes in the Bay brings satire, politics and color to the stage. The rocking group with honking sax uses pointedly political and satirical lyrics to rally listeners to the causes of the day. Past hits include Screw the Rich, and (I Wanna ) Smoke a Joint with Jesus.
Gary Gates Band also supports community causes, playing original energetic jam band music that inspired the SF Bay Guardian to compare it to Bob Marley and the Grateful Dead. Claiming to be La Honda’s second-best-known rocker (the first being Neil Young), Gary Gates has been leading jam bands for a few decades, including. Along with rocking versions of everything from Grateful Dead to Bob Marley songs, Gates sings his own compositions including What Would Jesus Do and Pescadero Daze.
Curly, born and raised at Burning Man, and is Black Rock City’s original playa dust-fueled novelty rock band. Curly is the hardest-working band in BRC and has been quoted as being “the best band on the playa.”.
Video clips and updates from forest campaigns and video related to planning for Judi Bari Day, coming up a week after Stomp!
$10 students & advance; $12 at the door
- Buffalo Field Campaign Roadshow in Berkeley
- Week of Action for Mattole Forest Wraps Up with Demonstrations at Corporate Offices and Mill. Then…Log Truck Rams Through Protesters With Banner at Mill, Nearly Mowing People Down
- Don’t commodify Mother Earth and her forests!
- Forest Defenders’ Blockade in Mattole Raided by Paramilitary-style Security
- New tripod blockade in Mattole, new suit in Gualala forest
- Bay Area issues
- Climate and forests
- fact sheets
- Green Diamond
- Headwaters Forest
- Humboldt Redwood Co. (HRC)
- Judi Bari
- Mattole River Watershed
- Mendocino Redwood Co. (MRC)
- Other North Coast Forests
- Pacific Lumber
- Pacific Lumber Bankruptcy
- Richardson Grove
- Save the Oaks Campaign
- Smith River/Hwy 199 expansion
- Willits Caltrans Bypass