This piece, written by Remedy, covers the decision made yesterday by the Water Board regarding the contentious timber harvest plans that Maxxam/PL has been trying to get approved by threatening bankruptcy (see previous BACH alerts). Your BACH rep attended the hearing in Eureka Feb. 23 when both PL and the watershed residents presented [...]
press coverage we thought would interest you
A Titan of Logging Threatens to Topple
By Tim Reiterman
Times Staff Writer
February 21, 2005
REDCREST, Calif. – Whenever Pacific Lumber Co. planned to dispatch helicopters to log its nearby redwood groves, the company would phone Christine Rising at her vine-draped bungalow [...]
This is an interesting piece that just appeared in the Eureka
Reporter, an interview with the president of the Humboldt Watershed
Council. It helps in understanding how we arrived at the
unsustainable rate of harvest that PL is now complaining about
mightily as being too low, and how [...]
Public COMMENTS NEEDED on huge old growth logging plan
Sierra Pacific Industries (SPI), who amassed a gigantic land base from railroad grant lands in the late 1800s, making them the largest private landowner in the nation, and making its chair Red Emmerson one of the richest individuals in the U.S. is planning to log a [...]
Eureka Reporter on Palco
2/9/05 PALCO Faces Financial Trouble; Critic Says It’s PALCO’s Fault
by Glenn Franco Simmons
The Eureka Reporter
The Pacific Lumber Co. (www.palco.com/) reported Wednesday that it is working with the North Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board, and separately with PALCO’s bank lender, in efforts to avoid a [...]
- Caltrans is out of step with the times, says independent study. Write a letter today to add your voice for redwoods and wetlands!
- Please Write This Letter to the Water Board Today!
- Richardson Grove Update: WIN in Appeals Court!
- Protester gets reduced charges ::<>::<>:: Bypass opponents to converge on Water Board meeting
- Two court reports: Richardson Grove redwoods last week; Willits Bypass Protester in Court this week